INKEY - ALPHA HYDROXY ACID
Face - Serum
Function - Exfoliation
Currently OUT OF STOCK - View our global stockists
Also known as AHA, this is a type of acid that is found naturally in different foods and plants, that gently exfoliates to leave skin soft and smooth.
AHAs exfoliate the skin by working to unglue dead skin on the surface that can make the skin appear dull, pores larger and give the appearance of an uneven skin tone.
Using AHAs increases cell turnover and skin sheds naturally, to reveal a brighter and more even skin tone.
Alpha Hydroxy Acid acts to:
- Target rough skin
- Increase cell renewal
- Reduce the appearance of brown spots
- Smooth skin texture
- 10% Fruit acid for gentle exfoliation and effective results without irritation
- 1% Low molecular Hyaluronic Acid to hydrate from beneath the skin's surface
- Suitable for all skin types. Click here to read about how to choose the right AHA for you
How to use Alpha Hydroxy
- Use in the PM
- Onto cleansed skin apply one to two drops to the face, using the fingertips to pat the serum into the skin
- Avoid the under-eye area
- Follow with other serums and moisturisers
- Click here for more advice on order of application
For more information, go to the INKEY GUIDE tab.
- AHAs can increase sun sensitivity due to their exfoliating properties
- We recommend prior to sun exposure, covering areas where the product has been applied with sunscreen and for 7 days after use
- Start with one application every other night and increase to one application daily if desired
- Avoid direct contact with eyes and lips
- If irritation occurs discontinue use and consult a doctor. You may feel a slight tingling or hot sensation on the skin when applying. However, if there is any itching or a prolonged burning sensation discontinue use immediately
- Always wear sunscreen when exposed to sunlight
- External use only
Aqua (Water), Propanediol, Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Xanthan Gum, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Sodium Benzoate, Allantoin, Sodium Levulinate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Anisate, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate.
How to use AHA's
Acids aren't scary, they're a gentle and effective way to exfoliate the skin, but as with everything you just need to ensure you're choosing the one that's right for you and not overdoing it. Here's a few tips from THE INKEY LIST.
Using AHAs like Alpha Hydroxy Acid can help boost the effect of other products used after. Due to its exfoliating properties and ability to increase skin renewal, it can aid deeper penetration of the serums you apply afterward.
If you're new to AHAs, we advise starting with every other night to begin with. For advice on picking the right AHA for you click here.
How quickly the skin renews itself is dependent on age, and whilst you may see some instant effects from the product, you should see the full effect within 30 days of beginning use.
How to use with other products:
AHAs can be combined with most other products, however there are a few to be careful with to ensure you don't sensitise the skin.
When combining with a Vitamin C serum
Both are amazing ingredients that can help with healthy looking skin, however it would be best to use Vitamin C in the AM and Alpha Hydroxy in the PM. The acidic PH of both could lead to increased sensitivity and irritation if used together. Vitamin C works best in the AM due to its antioxidant properties.
Always wear sunscreen when using Alpha Hydroxy
Due to exfoliating properties of AHA, and the fact it increases skin renewal, this means that the top layer of skin is newer and therefore potentially more sensitive to sunlight, so we would always recommend using in PM and wearing sunscreen during the day whilst using this product and for 7 days after.
Using with a retinol
If you are also using Retinol in your evening routine and want to add an acid we suggest using acids weekly or if you want to use your acid more regularly alternating with Retinol. If you do wish to use both on the same day, due to PH levels we would recommend waiting around 20 minutes before applying your Retinol and be careful of overuse as both increase skin renewal and may cause sensitivity.
Using with other AHAs
We would recommend only using one AHA at a time (This includes Glycolic, Alpha Hydroxy and Lactic acids) Whilst they can have slightly different benefits you can have too much of a good thing and over exfoliation can lead to increased sensitivity.
For more information on which is the right acid for your skin, click here.